From Our Blog Your Hurricane Dorian Disaster Ready Kit
Here we go, Hurricane Dorian is scheduled to make landfall near Halifax this Saturday evening! It is tracking as a Category 1 and expected to deliver a massive amount of rain and high winds in a short period of time. Environment Canada is advising residents of Nova Scotia to prepare for heavy damage and potential power outages with enough supplies for up to 72 hours in the event of power.
Here is a quick summary of the essentials you need:
- Water: 2-4 Litres per person, per day (small bottles are easier to carry in case of an evacuation order)
- Food: canned food, energy bars, and other non-perishables
- Cash: including smaller bills and change
- Manual can opener
- Flashlight and batteries
- Battery-Powered or wind up radio and extra batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Special Needs Items: prescription medications, instant formula, and equipment for people with disabilities
- Extra Keys for your car and house
- Emergency Plan: Include a hard copy of your emergency plan and ensure it lists in-town and out of town contacts.
And, of course, we recommend you pull out a copy of your Home Insurance Plan. You may not have time to adjust your coverages, but do take note of your Overland Water Protection. This protects you from the accumulation or runoff of surface water including torrential rainfall when water enters your property. And keep your Policy Number and Insurance Company contact number handy.
Bauld Insurance Customers should call 1-877-925-2285 if you need to make a claim.
– Team Bauld